Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"Adelaide," Meg Myers



This is an attractive person. Her name is Meg Myers.
Sometimes I get a little sad at how far off the music wagon I’ve fallen. Back when I was in high school I prided myself on my encyclopedic knowledge of every cool new band coming up in at least seven different obscure made up genres. But it does kind of seem like the older you get the fewer your hobbies become, or at least that’s the case in your twenties. The other day Steph asked me if I had any hobbies, because she couldn’t really think of anything for her list. We figured that at this age, it’s hard enough to do the thing you want to one day make money for doing, simultaneously do the thing that is currently making you money that you can’t wait to quit, have a social life, and occasionally work out, so screw the extracurriculars. That hobby stuff isn’t going to happen till our mid thirties at the rate we’re going.

That being said, the one thing I have more than enough time for is comedy podcasts. During the Alder New York work cycle, we usually get a month and a half every season of straight up making things. (That’s another job I can’t wait to quit. I'm so ready for the day when all I do in my design job is design). The process of making something is a quiet process; once the design part is over and it becomes technical, there's a lot of sewing and math and thinking, and not a whole lot of talking. This month I'm spending upwards of eight hours a day doing studio work that leaves me stuck in my own head, so I listen to funny podcasts as I work. I've gotten so into them that I often leave work listening and continue straight thought my bedtime routine until I get under my sheets. SEE, you guys, I'm obsessed!

I first started my comedy podcast journey with Marc Maron's WTF, which led me to Comedy Bang Bang, which, created by the Earwolf production team, led me to their other podcasts, Professor Blastoff, Who Charted, and my current fave: Totally Laime.

Totally Laime is the creation of Elizabeth Laime and her Husband Psychic Andy (originally Sidekick Andy but her speech impediment has given his title a special spin). As they say, they focus on "asking the most important people the least important questions," and they usually spend an hour having the kind of conversation you would have with a friend, if that friend was someone very funny and also famous.

The couple that podcasts together stays together

I swear we're circling back to the music lead in. Because, during his real life, Psychic Andy is a music producer, and often they end the podcast with a song that relates to the episode; maybe they'll play a comedy song by the funny person they just interviewed or a song they mentioned during the course of the episode. Usually I turn it off once the music starts, because I AM OBSESSED ONLY WITH COMEDY PODCASTS AND WON'T HAVE MUSIC INTERRUPT. But on a recent episode they ended with this song that was so good I had to turn off my electric toothbrush to pay special attention.

The song is called "Adelaid" by Meg Myers, one of the musicians Andy produces. It has kind of a Fiona Apple sound at her most poppy, which I think is her at her best. I could try to describe it more, but it seems redundant when you can just play it for yourself and see how good it is. Personally, I can play it in a continuous loop and still not get enough the third play in. It's just one of those near-perfect pop songs. I'm not trying to say this is the best song ever created; it's not. But that's also not important with a great pop song. I'm not comparing it to anything, I just like listening to it over and over again as it is.

Meg Myers is also gorgeous, which never hurts a singer

Here is the song: play it so many times!

And here is her website

And just for good measure here is the Totally Laime podcast

No comments:

Post a Comment