Saturday, October 13, 2012

Harmless Harvest Coconut Water

Hello! Welcome to my blog: a blog devoted to my brief and numerous obsessions.

I'm the kinda gal that gets super excited about something and then I have to have it constantly, until one day I've had enough, and then I usually stop even wanting it (I swear this habit does not extend to my personal life). This habit has left me grossed out or bored by roasted fennel, the song "Toxic", Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Milky Ways, and many, many other fantastic things. So I wanted to get going with this blog before I got my latest obsessions out of my system, because the things I briefly love really are great, and I want to share them with the world and maybe get you into them too, before I forget them so quickly.

Let me just add before anyone asks, that I am in no way getting paid or receiving gifts to do the posts about any of my obsessions. First of all, nobody knows who I am so it would mean nothing to receive my endorsement, and secondly, that would be super shady and that is not my jam.

Today I wanted to share my absolute LOVE for Harmless Harvest Coconut Water, the only coconut water I have ever drank that actually tastes like the clear kinda gel type stuff I drink when I cut into a young coconut. This shit should make Rihanna and her stupid ad campaign for Vita Coco feel seriously
embarrassed.
In everything but music, Rihanna seems to make consistently bad choices.

Back when I was in high school, my best friend Ryann and I would avoid doing homework after school by stopping in to this raw food organic type place in our little town. The guy that ran the shop was an old hippie, and maybe a bit too excited to hang out with two fifteen year old girls, but regardless, he got us into the amazingness that is a young coconut. A young coconut is a coconut picked before it has time to mature, and it's usually husked before it's sold so when you buy it (you can get it at Whole Foods or Chinatown or sometimes at a boardwalk), you slice off the top, stick in a straw and drink the nectar of the  gods.
This stuff will change your life.
The problem with the disgusting coconut water they've had on the market until now is that they have to heat the liquid inside the coconut in order to sterilize it, which takes away the really great nutrients, but, more importantly, seriously alters the taste. Until now. Harmless Harvest has found a way to put the coconut under intense pressure which sterilizes the water without altering the liquid at all. Look, I'm no scientist, but thanks to the FDA I can trust what it says on the bottle, and I also can trust my taste buds. This stuff is so so so so so good, sometimes it makes me cry a little bit.

Part of the tearing up is that right now the bottles are really expensive. The cheapest I've gotten an 8 oz bottle is $2.00 and I've seen it sold for $3.00. Surprisingly  Whole Foods often has the best sales on it, but part of that is that they can afford to mark it down, where as the mom & pop shops in Brooklyn have to mark it up to meet their rent.

I guess, unless your part of the 1%, you should try to make this a special treat. Like an after work treat, before work treat, midday snack, evening snack, bedtime snack, midday-pick-me-up kinda treat. Just kidding. Really, make it a SPECIAL treat.

But that's really hard, since it's so special and delicious. I can't wait till I'm over this one, and neither can my wallet.

Check out where you can find this elixir at their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment